MOAK LAKE PREFAB HOUSE

Moak Lake Fraser house

MOAK LAKE PREFAB HOUSE

This house, inhabited by Hugh S. Fraser and family until approx. early 1960, was later disassembled and transported to Thompson where it now forms half of the outer shell of the Thompson Golf Club clubhouse. A number of these prefab "Butler Buildings" were manufactured by American-based Butler Mfg. and transported in units by tractor train to Moak Lake base camp, near present-day Thompson. Houses were clad in rust-resistant corrugated tin and were outfitted with a kitchen, living room, bedrooms and a small bathroom. This house had a screend, wood-frame veranada added to it, offering an unobstructed view of the lake. Homes were serviced by electricity but not by sewer or water, and they were heated by oil. (H. S. Fraser. Circa 1956.)